Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Journey...


As some of you may know I completed my first Triathlon this summer on June 26th, the date happily burned into my memory. My time to complete the Sprint Triathlon ¼ mile swim, 12-mile bike, and 5k run was 1 hour 33 minutes, also burned into my memory. The order in which one participated in a triathlon, swim bike run, was not something I knew prior to the implementation of my “Couch to Sprint Tri” training. I truly was a Tri-newbie and an out of shape one at that.

9 weeks of swimming, biking, and running. I loved and hated it all at the same time. My kitchen became littered with water bottles, swimsuits drying, and “How to” articles from triathlon magazines. I acquired a decent used road bike on sale, swim goggles, wet suit, and other miscellaneous triathlon newbie items. I became obsessed with the race at hand.

Plans were made, discussed, and re-discussed for the post race celebration. I dreamt of potato chips, beer, cheeseburgers, well pretty much every category of junk food, I had an item that I was going to eat during that post-race weekend. Post-race had become synonymous with a beer and junk food bender. Needless to say I was pumped for the race and what was to come after.

As most of the summer has, June 26th came and went. I woke up the next morning after the race surprised and a mix of emotion. I was surprised 9 weeks flew by and the race was over.Surprised that I wasn’t sore. Surprised that I felt sad. Depressed almost. What the heck was I going to do now? I regretted not hanging around the other racers and crowd when the race ended. I regretted not taking the time and looking around as I crossed the finish. Why had I showed up so nervous? I to quickly set up my transition area, barely talked to anyone, waited for the gun to go off, raced, and then left.

I share this because I don’t want this to happen to me again or to you on September 12th.Maybe there are some of you that are experiencing a similar journey that I did with my triathlon. You are committing yourself fully, setting micro-goals for the macro-goal of the 5k .Your kitchen too has become littered with articles, sports bras hanging to dry, and water bottles. Perhaps you to are obsessed with the race at hand.

If so, I invite you to take a breath as you cross the finish, look around. Soak up the post race day activities. Pat you and others on the back. Recognize that it took commitment of thousands of strides, over the past 10 weeks to get you to this one day. I can’t tell you not to be nervous, shoot, I’m going to be nervous, but don’t let that be the prominent emotion you feel as that gun goes off. Look around as you join strangers, all committed in their own way, to cross the same finish line as you.

Although this race may seem insignificant to others, it is significant to me, to you. So make it significant the best you can. Be selfish, be proud, be excited and nervous, but don’t be like I was – tunneled visioned and mono-emotioned. Be as aware of the day as you can, congratulate yourself, take a deep breath, run, finish and celebrate.

8 comments:

  1. Great post Angie!! You are so right. Everyone should stick around after the race - there is nothing quite like a group of people who choose to get up early in the morning to run a race while half the world is still sleeping :-)

    You need to let it all soak in - I came. I ran. I finished. Aaaaahhh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I must be getting sappy in my old age! This actually made me get misty! I LOVE it! I LOVE ALL OF YOU!!!!! ~ Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had an absolute blast doing Runner's Club! Met some fantastic gals that I looked forward to seeing for our runs! All the support & encouragement was such a huge help to me! Thanks everyone for a great 10 weeks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, had a great experience with Runner's Club. Even as the slowest runner, you all supported me and I appreciate that! 110 lbs. later, I am running! Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said Angie. I, too, have really enjoyed the runner's club. This is coming from a girl that could barely run a block. Some may think -big deal...3 miles, but to me, 3 miles IS a big deal. Here's to everyone having a great run on Sunday. Thanks for the awesome support!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angie H - to anyone who says big deal - have them run 3 miles with you!! If they can :-)

    Kelly - You are a runner! Get rid of that adjective - slowest - it doesn't belong!

    I have to say our group truly was awesome. Some had run before, some had not, we all had different goals. But everyone was so supportive and it was inspiring to see the changes/improvements. I think we all learned something from everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with you Cheri - getting a little teary here!!! Everyone was awesome - this experience was so much more than I ever expected! You all truly all the best.
    Enough of this talking like it's over though! It has been an awesome 10 weeks (even though after the first two I was really wondering what I had gotten it to) and can't wait to start the next 10!!! Hope to see all you in future Running Clubs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love runner's club...and all of you!
    this made me tear up too - i teared up yesterday after the race, even. im the sappiest. ;)
    this was such an amazing experience...i never would have ran the 5k without the support of the runner's club ladies!
    great job everyone! i can't wait to see you all again for the 10k training!
    grrrrreat job, angie, on writing the blog...i really enjoyed it. thank you!!

    ReplyDelete