Friday, August 13, 2010

Where to Start with Plyometric Training?

My friend Erin asked me a good question: "Where would you recommend I find a good starting point for plyos?"

Here is a portion of an article that I found to answer such a good question! Thanks Erin : ) Now only if I could actually find it so I could reference it for ya' all!

"I would recommend plyometrics to runners who have been injury-free for at least the past 6 months and have a good base fitness level. Start off by doing 10 minutes of plyometrics once a week. If you tolerate the exercises OK and without anynagging discomfort, then gradually increase your plyo time to 20 to 30 minutes. If you think that the plyo exercises are helping, then add a second day to your training week.

I would start off with the following plyo exercises:

30 meters of skipping
10 meters of two-footed hopping
30 meters of bounding: Take a very long running stride with exaggerated knee lifts
10 to 15 jumping butt-kicks: Try to touch your butt with your heels while you jump up in the air. (These can be a little challenging, but you’ll want to gradually increase up to 30 jumps or 30 seconds of jumps.)
I do my plyo exercises after a good warm-up and before I do my track repeats but they can be done any time as long as you are warmed-up properly."

No comments:

Post a Comment