Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Both a Swear Word and an Unfortunate Necessity

Nutrition:

If anyone feels the same way I do about this subject and reads this entry, after reading the title, I will be amazed. It's not going to be what I would want to hear like, "Eat chocolate cake daily and your body fat will drop!". Unfortunately I will not be divulging any information that has not been known for years. I will not even be clever. This piece will be as straightforward as they come.

The word nutrition makes me cringe. Always has. I despise that a hamburger and french fries washed down with a microbrew will not make my backside smaller or abs flatter. Perhaps I’ll write about the evilness of this reality later.

However, for those that go ahead and read this (first of all thank you), I promise you something. I promise not to use nauseating words like sensible, will power, and trans fats, ect. Simply I will purge the information shared from a fellow nutritionist, data from a nutrition textbook, and snippets from various health magazine articles.

This multi “chapter” blog will address some questions related to weight, calories, carbohydrates, fat, protein, and water. I have never been a fad dieter or a real good dieter. I have calorie counted and restricted certain junk foods while attempting to reach a goal. Therefore I have a lot to learn and will be heavily utilizing the aforementioned resources.

No matter your goal, to loose weight, run faster, build muscle, or loose body fat, one must reluctantly stare nutrition in the face and abide by its rules. It’s that simple, to stay on track one must eat right and train smart. That’s right I said simple, NOT easy. I openly admit it’s not easy to abide by seemingly daunting rules, but the concepts are simple I guess. So here I begin…

7 comments:

  1. Ugh!! You got it right Angie - nutrition is important and it is NOT easy. I think most people know what they should and should not eat. The problem is doing it. I don't know why it is SO hard to just do it!

    I am a huge stress eater and also a comfort eater. One question to ask before you reach for the junk food.......Am I really hungry? Am I hungry enough that I would eat an apple? If you answer no, then put that junk food back!

    Another thing I struggle with and I am sure others do as well - self-sabatoge. It seems completely insane and crazy but it happens. And it is frustrating!!

    Looking forward to future blogs on this topic.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Kelcy. I really do second EVERYTHING you said. I also do not eat because I am hungry or nurishing myself. I just eat because I want to, because I am bored and for numerous other reasons.
    However, this whole cleanse thing has gotten me to follow better habits.
    Thanks Again!!!

    How did the 5k go?

    -Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 5K went okay. I finished and that is what matters. I would have liked my time to have been faster. Don't we all?! :-)

    I completely agree when you said for beginners it is all about volume. The more you run, the more endurance and strength you build.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to completely rethink my nutrition when I first started to change my ways. Since I am a teacher, I went for the assignment approach. I have a certain amount of calories I can eat per day and they MUST include a certain amount of vegetables/fruit, protein, and fiber. It works great for me since I create lesson plans like this for my students. My thought was--why not make myself a lesson plan? Works for me, but may not work for everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly...it WORKING FOR YOU!!! You have an amazing story...and it is still a work in progress! I am amazed by you :-)...You really and truly are an inspiration to me...and to others!! (Kelcy's not doing so badly herself, either!!) ~ Cheri (aka Yoda)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly,

    That is an awesome idea! I have always been a good student. :-)

    Would you mind sharing one of your "lesson plans" so I can see how you set it up?

    ~Kelcy~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your tips Kelly! Great goal orientated idea : )

    CONGRATS on finishing your 5k Kelcy...we sure can't focus on the numbers!

    -Angie

    ReplyDelete