Monday, August 23, 2010

Take TWO: There is an "I" in BMI

Thank you, thank you Kelcy for your comments and concerns relating to my previous blog entry! : ) Your comments made me realize that I should elaborate.

I would like to reiterate that ALL 3 of the methods that I discussed are NOT without FAULT : ) Each method is to be used as a guideline and not as if were written in stone. I would also like to retract one thing. On the shortcut method, one should actually +/- 15lbs, NOT 10%. Thus the guideline range when using this method for a 5'4" woman's weight would be anywhere between 105lb - 135lb. A darn large range huh?

I would like to apologize for another portion of my previous post. Although the acronym BMI was used within the title does not mean that I 100% endorse that method. I was just trying to find a "cute" way to title that entry. Sorry as I see that this may have sent a mixed message.

Furthermore on the BMI, Kelcy we will have to agree to disagree : ) As I stated in my original post, this post, and will state it again the BMI is flawed. Unfortunately, it is mostly flawed for athletic males and only slightly flawed for athletic females. Females that carry large amounts of muscle on their upper bodies, or are collegiate through Olympic athletes, may have an inflated (reads as if they are over weight) BMI related to their greater than average muscle mass. Unfortunately it fits for most individuals. In fact here in a Mayo Clinic posting describes a study in which the BMI index actually failed miserably as it UNDER-estimated obesity rates for females 20-33years old. MAYO CLINIC ARTICLE link. It should not be used on anyone younger than 18 or older than 45 as body composition varies so greatly in these individuals the results would be inaccurate.

I mentioned the BMI index as it has been used by the CDC, healthcare professionals, and insurance companies for several decades. Throughout the years the BMI index has not been without controversy. Despite it's faults it has yet to be replaced by a better method. I also mentioned the BMI index as not every person has access to a body fat scale, skin calipers, or full body water immersion to test their body fat percentage. Again it is to be used knowing that it has faults, but is to help give someone a quick reference guide and not to be used without caution. : )

Personally I believe the BEST way to gauge where you are at is body fat percentage. It is just hard to get accurate measurements or have access to the equipment that tests body fat. This is the one method that I strongly encourage an individual to pick one method of body fat testing (skin calipers, body fat scale, foot/wrist electrodes, etc.) and stick with that one method for each measurement.

My inspiration to write this article was not to perpetuate eating disorders or unhealthy mindsets. My agenda for the previous blog was twofold. One, I needed to write about goal weights as the next blog was about calories (100% copied from Shape magazine) and a goal weight is needed to calculate caloric intake.

Secondly, as there are some individuals that may desire to loose weight, they then may also want to know their personal health weight range as they set their weight loss goals. I wanted the methods/tools described to be realistic, tangible, cheap, and easily accessible. Please seek out a trainer or an MD in addition to these tools to help you find a healthy weight or weight range.

I do not want anyone person to focus on a number, but if you are a person who wants to loose weight how do you establish a goal with a target in mind? Personally, when I weighed over 200lbs I had a target or goal weight in mind and at one time or another utilized all of the methods discussed. At times I out grew some of the methods discussed and then came back to them as they pertained again.

I'm not an expert, just a volunteer blogger. I try very hard to research these topics and LOVE doing so : ) Thank you for the opportunity to write. Some of these posting will pertain or be of interest to some, and some postings may not interest others. I always strive to appeal to the masses. My intention is never to be controversial or perpetuate negative/unhealthy lifestyles. I LOVE EVERYONE in this group and I am proud to be apart of such an amazing group of women!!! You have inspired me, encouraged me, and subsequently taught me a bunch. Hope this clears the air : ) THANK YOU AGAIN : )

What are everyone's thoughts about this? Let's keep the discussion going! Help your fellow runners : ) For those of you that want to loose weight how did you come about a goal? Or perhaps you didn't set one, how are you measuring your progress?

No comments:

Post a Comment