Monday, August 30, 2010

Nutrition Part 5: How Do I Hydrate Myself Each Day?

We’ve all seen Gatorade commercials miraculously rehydrating athletes, or heard our doctor say "push fluids" when sick. The message to drink water, often lacks actual information, like “how much”, “what type of fluid”, or “plain water or electrolyte replacement drink”. We’ve all heard 8 glasses a day, but what constitutes as a glass and what fluid should fill that glass.

So how much should you drink. The answer resides within you grasshopper. No seriously, it literally resides in you. Our bodies are made up 60% water. Water is required or the by-product of nearly every cellular reaction in our bodies. This cellular activity causes the average healthy adult to excrete 1.5 liters of urine, and an addition loss of a liter through sweat, breathing, and bowel movements.

To replace that fluid loss an intake of 2.5 liters (or about 85 ounces) per day gets ya even Steven. However, 20% (1/2 liter or about 17 ounces) of your fluid needs comes from the food you eat everyday. So you can actually shoot for somewhere around 2 liters or 68 ounces per day. If you exercise that day, 1 cup of fluid per hour of exercise is sufficient enough to rehydrate.

These amounts are dependent upon, if your pregnant (drink 2.3 liters/day), illness (replace for fluid loss for vomiting/diarrhea), how hot it is outside (increases how much you sweat), cold outside (calls for hot air inside that dries you out), how many trips to the bathroom you make (if it seems like your visiting the porcelain god too frequently cut back on the fluid), or if you consume caffeine (as caffeine is a natural diuretic aka makes you pee).

On a side note, my personal bias is that your fluid of choice be that of a diluted electrolyte replacement drink (i.e. AdvoCare Rehydrate or Gatorade). My whole life I have drank diluted electrolyte replacement drinks. As a kid I disliked how strong they tasted and coming from a family of 8, my mom diluted EVERYTHING. Turns out that momma was right when diluting those drinks. Not only do these drinks make plain water taste better, it also conservatively replaces sodium, potassium, and calcium – all the electrolytes that you lose all day long. Those types of drinks are rarely needed by your body in their full strength form.

Studies have produced varying recommendations over the years, but in truth, your water needs depend on many factors (as discussed above), including your health, how active you are and where you live.

Although no single formula or fluid fits everyone, knowing more about your body's need for fluids will help you estimate how much water to drink each day. If you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or slightly yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate. If you're concerned about your fluid intake, check with your doctor or a registered dietitian.


8 comments:

  1. Good blog, Angie! I have never had the Advocare Rehydrate--is it good? I love the Spark--are they similar in taste? I, personally, love the taste of water, but like a little change now and then. I may have to try the Rehydrate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rehydrate is 'da bomb! I will bring you a sample today my friend :-).....

    I read the blog the other day...but today it shows up as wing dings and funny characters that I can't read!! Is it April Fool's day today or something??? ~ Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly I LOVE my rehydrate!!! Nothing has replaced electrolytes lost on runs or simply "rehydrated" me as well. As the electrolyte ratios are different than that of Gatorade it takes different and takes a bit to get use to.

    It is a bit less palatable than Spark. However, the two combined is great. I usually put 1/2 scoop of Spark and 1 full scoop of Rehydrate into a liter (34oz) water bottle. YUM!

    Ask Cheri her tricks of the trade. I bought fruit punch, which goes with almost any flavor of Spark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't read - all wingdings to me... ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully this works now...I was always able to read it, but just "edited" it. Please let me know if you're still not able to read it. Sorry for the that - keep me posted as to who can and who can't read it : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see clearly now!!! Amy Jo! Did you vote in the new poll?? Where should we all go to eat after the race??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can read with no problem now! Actually I read it before I just had to copy it and paste it and then change the font. Great blog as always Angie - thanks!
    And I love the poll!!!
    Don't know that I can do breakfast after... Boyfriend is driving in and Chase (the kiddo)are coming so I guess I should probably go with them... Am bummed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAHHH Good, glad you can read it now, weird computer tricks and their trickery : ) Last poll closed yesterday and it favored 10k and 5k - we are all such compromisers.

    Where to eat, Panera,Granite City brunch buffet or Bracos brunch buffet : )

    ReplyDelete